Educator for Part-time Summer Recreation Program
The Rachel Carson Homestead Association, Inc. (RCHA) a nonprofit organization in Springdale, PA (15144) is seeking an educator to develop and deliver two one-week summer day-camp programs for elementary school children. In addition, the educator will train volunteers and college student summer interns who will assist in program delivery. The camp will focus on outdoor experiences and recreation reflecting Rachel Carson’s “Sense of Wonder” to guide participants in the discovery of “the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in.”
Programs: Two one-week programs
One week will be offered to children 6-9 years old or grades 2-4, in a 3-hour 5-day program designed to develop awareness, observation skills, and a sense of wonder in nature and the natural world;
The second week will be offered to children 10-13 or grades 5-7 in a 4-hour program designed to additionally develop understanding of the web of life, the role of people in our environment and community.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education or Natural Sciences, Environmental Science, Parks and Recreation or a related field.
- A strong desire to teach and share knowledge and enthusiasm for the natural world
- Ability to develop and lead engaging and fun environmental programming
- Experience facilitating experiential learning activities
- Ability to teach a variety of age groups
- Willingness and ability to participate in nature activities with attendees, such as walks, games, and creative arts activities
Ideal applicant has experience in outdoor education, camping, or nature activities.
Work environment and physical demands:
- Lift up to 50 pounds (size of a small child)
- Hear children that might be out of direct sight-line
- Have 20:20 vision (with corrective lenses) to provide oversight during outdoor play
Compensation: This offer is for contract work that will be part-time with an hourly rate of $25. Schedule, terms and limits for planning, training, and delivery will be determined and final at time of acceptance of the offer.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter outlining interest and experience, and contact information for two professional references to Jeanne Cecil at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline May 15, 2017.
The RCHA values a racially, ethnically and culturally diverse work community and we strongly encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. E.O.E.
Must provide proof of or pass a PA & Federal Criminal Background Check and Obtain Child Clearances.